Karuizawa's largest waterfall, "Sengataki", becomes a spectacular icefall in midwinter. To reach the magnificently frozen waterfall, there is a promenade which follows the mountain stream. Guests will walk this path while looking out for wildlife tracks and observing a variety of bird species.
Behold the ice waterfall
The highest waterfall in Karuizawa is a cool, refreshing spot in the summer and an impressive frozen sculpture in the winter. The walking distance is approximately 2km round trip. We will take a short break to enjoy the wintery surroundings with a hot drink.
Winter forest wildlife
With snow blanketing the ground you can more easily discern the footprints of various animals such as Japanese serow, foxes and wild boar. The bird inhabitants of mountaion streams such as wrens and brown dippers are easier to spot during this time of the year.
- From January 5th to February 13th, 2022, Karuizawa
*Unavailable tour dates; January 18th to 20th, 2022
- Adults (13 years old and above) – 5,000 yen per person
- Please consult with us about the participation of elementary school students.
- Meeting Place
- Picchio Visitor Center
- You can make a reservation online up until 11:30AM on the day of the tour.
*Once capacity for the tour is reached, the reception will close so we recommend you book as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
・Please come to the agreed place on time. If you are late on the day, we might give your spot on the tour to another guest.
- Cancellation policy
- Cancellation is free up to 2 days before the tour.
・If you cancel 2 days before the tour, a cancellation fee of 20% of the tour cost will be charged.
・If you cancel the day before the tour, a 50% cancellation fee will be charged.
・If you cancel on the day of the tour then the full cost of the tour will be charged.
In case we have to cancel the tour due to unexpected reasons (weather, observation conditions, etc.), we will contact you at least 90 minutes before the tour is scheduled to start. Please check your email or phone frequently on the day of the tour.
- Warm jacket
- Long warm pants
- Winter boots
- Free rental items
- We provide free rental service rain wear and trekking shoes (or snow shoes depending on the level of snowfall). *these items are of limited quantity so rental is subject to availability. If required, it is advised that you reserve the items in advance.
We do not currently rent gloves or hats, but should you require them, they are available to purchase and keep – just ask at the reception desk. Gloves: 300 yen, Knit cap: 500 yen
- Please note that the tour would not be cancelled in light rainy weather. However, in the event of a storm, we would cancel the tour and inform the person who made the reservation by 12：00 noon on the day of tour.